A couple weekends ago I went to the Frieze Art Fair in Regent's Park. If you've read Seven Days in the Art World (I know a couple people reading this have) then you'll know all about the fair as there's a whole chapter (or day) devoted to explaining what goes on. Basically, it's an international contemporary art fair that happens in Regent's Park every year. Every important gallery (I think there are around 150 total) is there and tons of people go to scout out new items for their collections or the latest from a contemporary artist they're following. The fair was packed with well dressed artsy people who may or may not have had a clue as to what they're looking at. I have to admit, there were a lot of artists I didn't know and a lot of work that was not super compelling, but that's contemporary art for you....Here are a few pictures:
This was some photographer who was doing a project on Henry Moore. As the Chicago readers will know, this is right outside the Regenstein in Hyde Park (Chicago, not London). I was so confused when I saw it...but also excited to have my neighborhood represented at the Frieze!
There were so many cute well-dressed children at the Frieze...my friend and I kept trying to get pictures of them without looking like total creeps. Not sure exactly what this sculpture was/who made it.
Ryan McGinley photograph (of a friend from home).
It was fun to watch people puzzle over this one. All in all, the Frieze was fun and I liked going with my artsy Courtauld friends! Last Wednesday I went to Cambridge with a friend, Sophia, who is another study abroad student at the Courtauld (there are only ten of us). Anyway, a few of us don't have classes on Wednesdays so it has officially become our day trip day of the week. Cambridge was the perfect excursion. It's only two hours away by bus and it's absolutely charming! Walking around, you realize that this is as good as it gets in terms of campuses and that all those east coast schools are trying to be like Cambridge (and Oxford of course). Anyway, we started with King's College which I think is the most competitive. It's beautiful as well! Probably the most stunning thing is the Gothic King's College Chapel which has the largest fan vaulted ceiling in the world. Here a couple pictures of King's. Prepare to be stunned!
We wandered into a few buildings that were supposed to be for students only. Basically, we needed to confirm that the insides of the buildings are also beautiful...they are! Unfortunately, we didn't see any libraries...one of them (I think Trinity) has a copy of the original Winnie the Pooh but I didn't plan well and the library was closed by the time we realized we wanted to see it. After King's we wandered into Trinity College and Saint John's College. I think Trinity is probably my favorite although to be honest, I get a little confused about what I'm looking at when going through the pictures. Here are a few more:
The city of Cambridge is really cute and after wandering around for a bit we stopped for some British pub food. I had an omelette that was surprisingly very delicious. After that we decided to go punting on the cam. We did a kind of small tour with other people and somehow I was the only one who wanted to try it. It was so cold I thought my hands were going to fall off after...it's also extremely difficult...or at least, it was for me. Anyway, that was a lot of fun! After punting we walked down to the Fitzwilliam museum which had a beautiful Renoir painting that my friend was supposed to see for her Period course at the Courtauld. I didn't love the museum but there were a few paintings that will definitely stick in my mind. I found another cool painting of twins! I think it was by Millais. At about 5:00 the museum closed and we started to walk back to the bus stop. It was so sad to leave and I really wish we had gotten a chance to explore some of the smaller colleges. I guess I'll just have to go back!
Today a went to see Horace Walpole's Strawberry Hill castle which is basically one of the best examples (besides the Houses of Parliament) of the Gothic Revival in England. It was built between 1750 and 1790 I believe (somewhere around those dates) and unfortunately, they are restoring the whole thing so there was a lot we couldn't see. Anyway, we had a good time wandering around Richmond which is only about 30 minutes away from London (less maybe). Here a few photos from the day's excursion:
Strawberry Hill Exterior view! The White part is the original house and the brown part is the expansion that happened near the end of the 18th century. We were a bit confused about why we couldn't see the inside of the brown building. I think part of it is that it belongs to Saint Mary's College. It's also being restored at the moment.
Just a pretty house nearby. Look at that Ivy.
I wish I had more time to talk about the day-to-day stuff here. My classes are great. I particularly like the Dutch painting class. It's nine girls and this very nice sort of nervous Professor. Our serious conversations about Rembrandt or Van Eyck often dissolve into hilarious comments/laughter. We're trying to organize some sort of class bonding thing...maybe going to see Harry Potter? Anyway, I have to run! But I will try to be better about updating the blog more frequently. I'm going to see the Royal Ballet tomorrow night and I'm looking forward to that!








No comments:
Post a Comment