Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Romeo and Juliet

I just got back from the Sadler's Wells theater where I saw the Birmingham Royal Ballet perform Romeo and Juliet. I bought the tickets on my second day in London and I've been looking forward to the performance since then. As it turned out, my roommate who is taking a performing arts class at her school, had to get tickets to the same performance. The night was a near disaster. We had to get all the way to Islingington and while I would have preferred to take the tube, we decided to take the 19 bus which stops right in front of Sadler's Wells. Anyway, we left at ten after six and the traffic was dreadful. At 6:25 we were still a couple blocks away so I started freaking out. They don't let you in if you're late and the first act of Romeo and Juliet is by far my favorite. Anyway, we got there at 6:30 exactly. I met my friend Amy and we ran all the way upstairs to our seats which, by the way, were four seats from the back of the giant theater. The view wasn't great and we definitely couldn't make out faces but the dancing was still pretty good. I could tell that there were a few weak men in the core but most of the principles were really strong. The guy who played Mercutio was particularly good...maybe even better than Romeo. Anyway, it was such a nice evening and I'm really hoping to see a lot more dance. Unfortunately, I haven't finished my reading for tomorrow (even though I spent five hours in the library today) and here I am procrastinating with this blog post.

In other news I found a sheet of paper lying around the Courtauld this morning and thought I'd share since it's pretty funny:

"The Courtauld Lads' Society exists to promote inter-year camaraderie amongst the University's most marginalised demographic - us chaps.

We are putting together a truly exemplary agenda of social and sporting events over the next 3 terms BUT can only carve it in stone with YOUR SUPPORT!

If you are interested in partaking in PORTING, DRINKING, DINING, and generally upping the quality of COURTAULD BANTER, then this is the society for you. Club ties, club shirts and club privileges are proposed to be inclusive within society membership - we're doing this properly."

Funny, no? By the way, there are probably a total of 12 undergraduate "lads."

2 comments:

  1. School must be keeping you pretty busy or else you're just refusing to post something new until you've received a comment. So I am posting one now: please write.

    From an avid reader of your blog.

    PS: we were in Boston a couple weeks ago and had dinner with your brother, who seems to be doing well, but I suspect you know that from more direct contact (e-mail or otherwise).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha sorry it's been so long...the past two weeks have been a bit busy! I went to Cambridge on Wednesday and will have a long post from that soon (it was awesome). My camera broke when I got there so I'm waiting for my friend to send me her pictures. Once i get them I'll post.

    Finally talked to Andy this week and it sounds like he is doing well. Getting excited to see everyone for Thanksgiving. Now that you've seen him in Boston you have to come to London!

    I'm currently working on planning a trip for next Wednsday...I kind of want to go see Horace Walpole's Strawberry Hill castle but I'm not sure if anyone will go with me. It's not the most popular destination but I think it'd be cool to see and it's not too far.

    ReplyDelete