I think I avoid updating my blog because I know there's so much to talk about and I'll never be able to write about everything. Anyway, I'm getting pretty far behind so I might as well tell you about a few things.
First of all, call me a total nerd, but I really love libraries. Of course I've been missing the wonderful art library at Wellesley but I've done a bit of exploring and have a few new favorites . To begin, the Courtauld library is great. The brick walls and white spiral staircases make it really charming and there's a lot of good work space. The only problem is it's boiling hot all the time. I'm not sure if it's because it's 60 degrees out in November and they're just not prepared for that or what, but yeah, it gets really uncomfortable at times. They have to keep a fan running in this one room and you still feel like you're going to melt. Another slight problem is the fact that it's always packed. You kind of have to get there at just the right time to make sure you can get a good spot. I'm really starting to get annoyed by the people who leave their stuff around while they're in class for two hours so they can be sure to have a spot when they get back. Anyway, here's a picture of the lovely Courtauld library:
Since the Courtauld is technically part of University College London (UCL) we have access to their library, Senate House Library as well. I really like the art history reading room in Senate House but I've found that the library is pretty disorganized and it can be really hard to find things that are supposedly on the shelves. Anyway, it's a twenty minute walk from the Courtauld so sometimes I go over their if the book I need is being used by someone else or just to get a change of scenery. Also, for some reason the librarian really likes Courtauld students so that's nice. The building itself is a really cool art deco building which reminds me of Chicago. Here are a few pictures:
One of my favorite libraries is the National Art Library at the Victoria and Albert. It's inside the museum and is reading room only. I've only been a couple times but I just love doing work in that room. Getting books is sort of a pain because the librarians have to get them for you (they're all kind of behind a desk where you can't go) and it usually takes a couple hours after you request them. Basically, you need to be really on top of it and know what you want ahead of time. I usually just bring my own books and sit and read them there. I've kind of been avoiding going back because I lost my card and I'm worried it will be something like a ten pound fee to replace it...I should probably deal with that soon. Here are a couple pictures but they really don't do it justice:
On Thursdays I have a two hour break between classes so I usually go get lunch at the Covent Garden markets with friends. These pictures are totally unnecessary but for some reason I love taking pictures of food (be glad I didn't post the ones from Italy):
Last Thursday I actually walked to the National Portrait Gallery which is only about ten minutes away from Somerset House. It's a great collection and I really liked a lot of the galleries themselves. One of them had sort of glass walls in the middle and another (more traditional) one had beautifully painted light turquoise walls and a sort of silver ceiling. It was interesting studying each of the labels. It seems like the focus shifts from the painter to the sitter in a portrait gallery. I also found that there was often no mention of who commissioned the portrait which is a shame. Anyway, I really loved this one portrait of Queen Elizabeth by Marcus Gheeraerts the Younger but it might just be because I love Queen Elizabeth. Here's a not-so-great reproduction.
Apparently, that Thursday was Covent Garden day because I went back at night to see the Royal Ballet. It was a mixed program and while the dancing was great I didn't love the pieces they chose. The first piece was La Valse choreographed by Frederick Ashton. I'm pretty sure I haven't seen anything by him live before and to be honest, I didn't love it. I found the choreography a bit boring and clearly trying to be modern in a way that was not that creative. I don't know, obviously, Ashton had a huge impact but it's just not my cup of tea. Maybe it just seems outdated or something. The second piece was called Invitus Invitam and it was very contemporary. I'm still sort of puzzling over the choreography but I think I liked it. I'm not familiar with the choreographer, Kim Brandstrup, but his stye is both delicate and expressive. The third piece in the series was Winter Dreams which was loosely based on a Chekov play. The choreography was pretty inventive but I found all of the confusing plot lines distracting and sort of beside the point. I guess that's just my preference for plotless (cough Balanchine cough) ballet. Speaking of Balanchine, the last piece was his Theme and Variations which I was really excited to see. I actually saw Boston Ballet do it last spring and really enjoyed it then. Royal Ballet's famed Alina Cojocaru was supposed to be performing the lead but when I looked down at my program at intermission I noticed there was a change and that some American named Sarah Lamb was dancing the role instead. Really upset by this, I walked down to the lobby and talked to the manager because I specifically bought my tickets for a night when I could see Alina...I was just totally crushed when I learned I couldn't. They were sympathetic but not sympathetic enough to give me another ticket. Oh well, apparently she was injured so hopefully it's not too serious. Sarah Lamb was good and very American looking. Unfortunately, she sort of fudged the finale which is one of the most exciting parts of the whole tour de force that is Theme and Variations. I guess no one is perfect. But besides my disappointment in the program, the Royal Ballet is a wonderful company. I kind of feel like their dancing is a bit timid and maybe slightly more delicate than American dancing but they're still clearly very strong. Also, I think the male dancers may be a bit stronger than the women. That's the case with ABT as well right now.
In other news, I finally made it to the Dulwich picture gallery! I went this Wednesday with a girl from my building who got her masters at the Courtauld last year. We both loved their Salvator Rosa exhibit and spent hours pouring over the permanent collection. I love that the museum is not huge so you really feel like you can see everything in one visit. The Flemish collection is AMAZING and I was so excited to see this Van Dyck painting that we discussed in class last week. It's a soft-focus portrait commissioned by a man (named Dingby, I think) whose wife had just died. Van Dyck paints her so it looks like she's peacefully fallen asleep. There's also a really famous and lovely Joshua Reynolds in the entry gallery. I think it's my favorite of his. We were so lucky because it was beautiful on Wednesday and seeing Dulwich with all the leaves changing and cute little houses was really pleasant.
On Wednesday Afternoon, I hung out with my Wellesley roommate, Hannah, who was visiting from Aix. I showed her around Chelsea and the Courtauld and we got Indian food on brick lane (which is where all of the Indian restaurants are). We went to this really old place called Sweet and Spicy and got totally full on curry and chicken tikka masala. yum!
Today is Guy Fawkes Day (remember, remember the 5th of November) and I was planning on going to Lewes where all of the best fireworks and bonfires happen. It actually sounds like total anarchy. Read this if you don't believe me: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-11674920 Anyway, I decided not to go because it's sort of far (I think a couple hours away) and I have so much work to do for next week. Hopefully I'll be able to see a lot of fireworks from my tenth floor window. I wish I had time to talk about everything else that's been going on but I need to go make dinner and get some work done. Wish me luck on my two presentations and essay due next week!
_by_Marcus_Gheeraerts_the_Younger.jpg)
Glad you got to Dulwich. How did you get there? Did you negotiate public transport? The Reynolds--and other--paintings are amazing.
ReplyDeleteBrick Lane. I'm sure--since you were so close--that you paid homage to Christ Church Spitalfields on your way to dinner.
Hawkesmoor, Hawkesmoor, Hawkesmoor! Don't leave London without him.
Waiting for the next weekly update. Still waiting to hear about the National Gallery (don't miss the Renaissance paintings there, second only to the Louvre and Uffizi) and the British Museum (remember what I told you about them not heating the Elgin Marbles which are still to me the most amazing thing there among rooms and rooms of amazing things). These are must sees as you know before you leave London.
ReplyDeletePS: I suspect that London theatre is generally out of your budget but I understand there are student standby tickets available at the National Theatre for as low as 10 pounds (5 if you're willing to stand) though you have to show up an hour or so ahead of the show and run the risk of not getting any seats. And a bunch of West End theatres offer student discounts as well though probably not as generous. Subject to what your parents have planned for Thanksgiving, you should check out at least one play at the National or see the Royal Shakespeare Company.
Ciao for now.