Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Last day in Rome and travel to Florence

This morning about all I had time for was the Museo e Galleria Borghese. I woke up early in order to make it to my 9:00 reservation and wandered around for my alotted two hours. Each room had something memorable and I cant stop thinking about the Berninis and Caravaggios. Also the Canova sculpture of Napoleon's sister was absolutely astonishing. How does he manage to make her sink into the cushions so beautifully? At 11:00 I wasn't hungry for lunch so I sat down on one of the marble park benches that surround the grassy area in front of the museum. I realized I was totally exhausted and ended up taking a fifteen minute nap in the sun! After getting lunch I ran around the city looking for a guide book for Florence and was unsuccessful in finding the one I was looking for. I left for the train station around 3:30 to make sure I knew what I was doing and took a 4:45 train to Florence which got in at 7:45. I had to transfer to the central train station and from there it was about a ten minute walk to my hostel.

I can already tell I will love Florence. First of all, my hostel is unbelievably nice. It's about 300 feet from the Duomo (!!) and everything inside it is pretty. The bed spreads are my favorite green and there are no bunk beds. Everyone gets a cute side table and they give you a bed-side lamp. And the bathroom is so nice. The tiles are kind of the colors of my blog (obviously colors I enjoy) and it's so clean! The ceilings are very high and I wish I could describe the plaster decoration but I'm not sure how to...anyway, basically I want the people who work here to design my future house. I've met three of the girls staying in my room. Two are from Canada and one is from Australia and they're all super friendly. For dinner I asked the woman at the front desk for a recommendation and she sent me to this very cute and inexpensive place that I think I will frequent. Even though so far I've only seen it at night, Florence seems beautiful and very managable. I imagine I'll be walking almost everywhere. I haven't finalized tomorrow's itinerary but I think I'll spend the morning around the Duomo. Will update when I can!

1 comment:

  1. Make sure you go to the Piazza Michelangelo (I think that's what it's called)for the most stupendous view of the city and Duomo.
    Vicariously yours,
    Eric

    ReplyDelete